Monday, March 28, 2005

Bernstein's "On The Town"

Saw this at the Coliseum on Saturday night. It was magical and wonderful. The choreography was enchanting (and there's a lot of it-muchet ballet), and the direction and design (in fact all aspects of production) were perfectly synchronised. Highlights were the always wonderful Caroline O Connor's smashing rendition of I Can Cook Too whilst preparing a meal resulting in a sort of cross between Miss Adelaide at the Hot Box and Blue Peter-in-the-kitchen (GSA'ers: why on earth did Gerry tell me to stand still when I sang it?!), and a couple of cracking numbers that I don't remember from the original film. Oz's very beautiful Adam Garcia was accompanied by an American and a Canadian, all three extremely talented actors and dancers with beautiful voices, and in sailor suits to boot. (Although since Caroline O Connor must be twice Adam Garcia's age I was quite pleased to be sat far from the stage when they were kissing.) The ballerina actress playing Ivy, (yes folks, it turns out there's more than one Josephina Gabrielle) was also an inspiration. Tickets for the Coliseum are expensive, (a stalls seat can set you back £80), but a trip to the gods is well worth it when so much formation dance and beautiful music are on offer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kezzie said...

Oooh I like 'On the town'! Wish I'd got to see it! We did a fun run-through of it at music camp, and for that bit where he goes to that nightclub place where Ivy Smith is dancing, we did this silly dance which we called the 'dance of the seven jay-cloths' (since during the dance, we attempted to pull these out of the front of our partners tops, with our teeth), and I was teamed with Ivy Smith, and in 'performance' could I get it with my teeth? No! In the end, for comedy value, she pulled the rest of the jaycloth out and shoved it in my mouth!
Good Luck with your auditions etc- it must be a really exciting life!

April 15, 2005 at 4:39:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home