Monday, March 28, 2005

Forget is not the same as Forgive

I think I'm pretty laid back- it's hard to find my goat, let alone 'get' it. I rarely struggle with forgiveness because I rarely notice that I've been wronged and even then am usually fairly happy to accept that it was unintentional. But perhaps I've become a bit proud of my long fuse...
This week a situation that I had long since forgotten about involving a person I hadn't seen for a long time bubbled back into my conciousness. On thinking about this person's previous actions, I realised I had not forgiven them.
New found test to see if I have forgiven someone:
a) Does said person's happiness bring me happiness?
b)Does said person's misery bring me happiness?
If have to think long and hard about either of these questions, I haven't forgiven them yet!
As a well-versed former member of the Warner-youth-programme ;-) I of course know that the best way to forgive is to "see that person through God's eyes" and that the only way to do that is to pray for them. So I have begun praying for the person.
I guess my thought for the day though, is- How many other people are there who are banished to my sub-conscious: never forgiven, just forgotten about. I think I better start asking God to bring them out of hiding and show me how to be a truly pure white blank sheet of paper, with no bitterness or resentment-someone that is always absolutely prepared, in top shape, on the starting blocks, ready and eager to love unconditionally and without hesitation, not just 'new' people and 'nice' people but old hurts too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home